Attitude Hack #1- How to be Grateful
Updated: Sep 10, 2020
First let me say that I recognize two things as I am writing this; 1) that you hear about attitude of gratitude a lot from me and my bride/partner, Coach Sandy, in this LEANWell culture of ours and 2) an attitude of gratitude is hard as heck to incorporate most of the time! I know and I hear you. I also know that an attitude of gratitude is so important to how you perceive life when you can look at the good things God has provided for us during our time here on earth. Plus, I am dedicating my life to bringing life to dark places….so…. you are going to hear a lot more about positivity and attitude of gratitude as long as you hear from me.
Also, if I knew how you could get one million dollars for yourself, I would tell you…but get this, some millionaires and billionaires will tell you that money didn’t make them happy. But hopefully I can show you how you can be happy today!
In three sentences, I’m going to tell you what an attitude of gratitude is so we are coming from the same place.
What Is an Attitude of Gratitude?
Believe it or not you actually do have a choice as to what you focus on. Sure some of us are preconditioned to be more pessimistic than optimistic, and I didn’t say that choice isn’t hard but its still a choice. An attitude of gratitude is a conscious decision to separate your foundation or feelings from your circumstances or environment.
What I do or what actions I take to maintain an Attitude of Gratitude
1. Establish Gratitude Partners!
2. Write it down- As part of my morning planner time and journaling, I write down at least 3 things I am grateful for.
3. I express my gratitude every chance I get or remember.
What can you do to establish an Attitude of Gratitude?
1. Recognize that you are negative, pessimistic, or don’t experience much joy. You won’t be able to make any progress without first doing a self assessment. You may even want to enlist someone close to you that you know will be honest and straight forward with you. This can be tricky if you are a negative or pessimistic person because others may avoid certain topics with you in order to avoid conflict and confrontation, so you will have to communicate in a way that brings their defenses down.
2. Establish a consistent exercise routine. Studies show that exercising can divert you from the things that are causing you to be anxious thus giving you a better chance at being optimistic. Exercise also decreases muscle tension, increases heart rate that, in turn, positively changes brain chemistry allowing the brain to release an abundance of positive anti-anxiety neurochemicals.
3. Practice gratitude. In order to be more grateful, you will have to practice gratitude. It will take a shift in habits in order to practice being grateful but don’t worry I have you covered, and you will reap more in the return on investment. I’ve put together a helpful resource, a cheat sheet so to speak, with 4 tips for cultivating an attitude of gratitude.
Get your free 4 Tips to Cultivate an Attitude of Gratitude here.
Brian "B-Rob" Robinson is a Certified Life Strategies Coach, Certified Sports Nutrition Coach, Certified Personal Trainer, Youtuber, and co-founder of LEANWellonline. His website is thisisbrob.com and his YouTube channel is thisisb-rob.